Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Comfort for Resting
I know that photos of people actually wearing the clothes are better for blogs but I'm just not up to modeling these days!
Monday I had surgery. I'm fine. What was causing me considerable pain is gone and now it's time for recuperating. Partly in anticipation of surgery, I had made this fleece robe. I've made enough of them through the years that sewing this didn't take much thought but was a good distraction from the discomfort I was having. My previous robe was made out of microfleece. It's a nice colour, red, but I've decided microfleece isn't warm enough for me. The new one is made of thick, polartec fleece. Wonderfully warm and big enough to be used as a smaller, cozy blanket for taking naps -- which it was used for this afternoon!
For top stitching, I used one of the new machine's embroidery stitches -- vine leaves, it seemed to be. The stitches embedded into the thick fleece and I like the decorative touch. Someone once told me not to bother with interfacing on fleece robes. But I think the extra step actually helps define the collar better. I didn't bother with interfacing in the red one and the collar frequently gets caught underneath. The extra step is worth it.