Saturday, October 11, 2008

Nothing like a good read



   Margaret Maron is one of my favourite writers and I've just finished her latest, Death's Half Acre, (from the library).   I love her Deborah Knott mysteries set in the area of North Carolina from which Maron is from.  I've never been to North Carolina and these novels make me feel like I know the area too.  Maron's Sigrid Hall mysteries written when she lived in New York just aren't as much fun -- dark, sad, lonely.  Whereas the Knott ones are a good mystery alongside thankfulness and wholeness of family and friends
     My Dad introduced me to Sarah Addison Allen's Garden Spells.      It's just lovely and, ironically, Allen lives in and writes about North Carolina.  This is her first novel.  I just got her second from the library, called The Sugar Queen.
Anna Quindlen's Blessings, I enjoyed while on vacation in August.  I think I read Quindlen's novels not just for the plot but for her ability to string words together beautifully and meaningfully.
     I'd love to hear what books you've enjoyed recently!


No comments: